A cosmetic dentist may need to perform an extraction on a tooth that is severely damaged. This procedure may be combined with oral surgery to remove any effects of an infection or damage to the gums and jaw that has stemmed from the incident.
The specific procedure that an general dentist needs to perform to extract a tooth will depend on the nature of damage to the area. This will also help to determine if procedures such as inserting a bridge may be necessary to fill in the gap in your tooth line the extraction has caused.
When you have a tooth removed your dentist will provide a local anesthetic to minimize the discomfort you experience. For serious surgeries general anesthetic may be administered so the patient can sleep through the procedure.
After the tooth is removed the area may require stitches. If this is the case the area will be packed in cotton to help stop the bleeding until the wound has a chance to set.
Top Things to Remember
Your family dentist will provide any necessary information in regards to caring for your wound after an extraction is performed.
- Your dentist may recommend you take painkillers and eat soft foods until the pain around the extraction subsides.
- Use a salt water rinse to keep the extraction site clean. Change gauze pads frequently and avoid lying flat so the wound will not continue to bleed.
- To avoid irritating the exposed tissue avoid touching the area where the extraction took place with your tongue and smoking. Avoid excessive physical activity as well.
- Continue brushing your other teeth and tongue as normal to minimize your risk for infection.
A cheap dentist may not be able to supply the tools necessary to care for your extraction on site. This means that you might have to make a trip to the pharmacy to get all of the tools you need to keep your wound clean.
Ramona Family Dentistry has been performing extractions and other emergency procedures for years, giving us plenty of insight regarding how these procedures should be performed.
- We use the latest tools and medical technology to make sure that your extraction goes as seamlessly as possible.
- We work to be an affordable dentist so you can get the care you need without having to worry about the cost.
Our staff understands that people who require an extraction are nervous and uncomfortable. We will do everything we can to minimize your discomfort so you can have your procedure handled quickly and get back to everyday life soon.
If you believe you require an extraction please do not hesitate to call our office at 888-888-8888. Getting dental assistance as soon as possible can make a significant difference in your overall health.